If you are looking for reasons on why to stop or limit your uses of wood and plastic pallets, then you need to check out www.thepallettruth.org.
There are many issues that the site brings to light. Below are just a few of them:
- Every year in the United States alone over 1 million acres of our planet’s trees are destroyed to manufacture and produce the wooden pallets used to operate our distribution industry.
- Approximately 4.2 million tons of wood pallet materials were landfilled in 1995. This represented over 1.4% of the total waste in landfills and 19.6% of the total wood waste landfilled.
- Wooden pallets used 7.6 billion board feet of lumber in 2006 alone. That is enough wood to cover an area 10 times the size of New York City.
- A recent study conducted by the FDA reported that 10% of pallets intercepted and tested contained traces of E. Coli and Salmonella, among other harmful bacterias.
- It is estimated that nearly 30% of CO2 buildup in our atmosphere can be attributed to deforestation over the past 150 years.
- The Arson Bureau of the New York State Fire and Prevention and Control conducted a nonscientific test to compare how plastic pallets burn compared to those built from wood. Their findings indicated that plastic pallets burned hotter and quicker than their wooden counterparts.
The number of advantages for aluminum over a wood or plastic pallet are abundant. Contact us to learn more about how you can not only do your part to help our environment, but also save substantial money in the process.